Thursday, April 12, 2007

The Knitting Bug, and how it infected me....

So, why knitting? Because it's portable, it's relaxing, it's rewarding, and I can choose to knit something spectacular and complicated, and I can choose to knit something simple and repetitive.

I started knitting (again) in January 2006, after a 17-year hiatus, and taught myself from the "Stitch and Bitch" I checked out from the library. I decided NOT to purchase anything, but to get a library book, and use the pink wool and needles I purchased in 1988 when I had almost no extra cash, and not enough money to buy an additional pair of knitting needles so that I could Knit To Gauge.

Since I am by nature a confident and ambitious person, I began (in 1988) with a sweater (one with a cabled ribbing, no less). I was also confident enough to ignore gauge, I just bought what the pattern said. I ended up with a front and back of completely different sizes, and it would have fit a wrestler. A wrestler who liked pink cabled sweaters, that is. I've kept this 19 years thinking that I'd finish it someday. I know better now -- but just CHECK OUT the difference between the top piece and the bottom piece! Egads. This is what I frogged to practice anew.



My initial foray into knitting in 2006 was just to busy my hands. I played with the yarn, tried it in my left hand. I went to the knitting store and just "looked around." Really. I found some squeaky acrylic in the back of my closet and knit a square. I went back to the knitting store, and this time bought fuschia pink and black-and-white fun fur yarn, and knit the keyhole scarf in SnB. Then I knit 2 more, for my mom and daughter. Matching 3 generation fuschia, white, and black scarves!

Then I bought a circular needle, and began making baby hats. Did I mention I also bought 15 balls of Zara (all different colors) and 2 knitting books?

A little over a year later, I have a stash worth hiding, purchased all over the US and brought back home to Tokyo because "I just don't know if I can get this in Japan." (Note to self: Zara, Rowan, Anny Blatt -- all available. Sock yarn? As rare as a rainbow zebra.)

No comments: