Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Tired of socks yet?

So, tired of sock yarn yet?

I'm not. Just before my brother arrived, I ordered a pack of 6 skeins of Opal sock yarn from the nicest woman on eBay. She packed them beautifully, added two candies, and sent them off from Germany to Japan. They are the "Lollipop" colors, and as soon as my kids saw them they immediately picked which skeins would become their socks. (Of course they are the same 2 skeins that I was hoping to make into MY socks.)



Can you guess which two the little kids picked? Yep. The colorful ones that actually look like a fun stripey lollipop.


Mousie is a patient backdrop, and partial to the bright ones as well.



I'm still on the 2nd Nemo sock (same place as last night), but I took a break to attempt to make a fun scarf -- and I hated it. I cast on some random number of stitches -- perhaps 18 inches worth -- and proceeded to knit in garter stitch with shiny purple yarn (yes, I should have known what it would end up like), and then double my stitches every few rows to make a swirly twirly scarf. What a great idea -- and what a joke. After 6 rows it looked like a cheap fake purple plastic Hawaiian lei. I plodded on -- I don't know how many stitches I cast on, but let's say about 60. After doubling 3 times, I had 480 stitches on my needle, and it still looked awful. I knit a few more rows and then cast off, hoping that the twirl would change everything.




It didn't.



It still looks like a cheap purple Hawaiian lei. Don't believe me? Check THIS picture out. Which one took 90 minutes of my life, and which one took 17 cents of my money?

No comments: