Thursday, June 21, 2007

Knit for pleasure or fame?

Regarding yesterday's post: What do you do if something you like doesn't turn out as planned?

Do you rip it out?

Do you live with it?


I ask because I am of the perfectionist realm, where if I know it's not perfect, it's going to bother me. I don't mind ripping stuff out to get it right (although mohair is no picnic).

My dear husband can't stand to see me rip things out -- "But it's DONE!" he says. "But it's not right!" I say. He can't stand to see the work go to waste. I think it's sweet that he values my work so much. Still, I'd rather get it right, and rip back to do it. He and my daughter both think I should finish the sock. (But then I'd have to make another one just like it, and if no one wants the first one, wouldn't it be better to frog the first and make two that I want?)

I also had an interesting conversation with another knitter a month or so back -- why do you knit for other people?

I knit for the fun of it, and to think about the person I'm knitting for. I love knitting baby things, and I love knitting for my kids. I like knitting small things as gifts. I also tell the receiver that when I give a gift to someone that it is just that -- a gift, and that I made it for them and I'm releasing it. I hope they like it, but I did it for the joy of making something for someone important to me.

That, and also to prevent me from eating a pound of m&ms while watching tv after the kids go to bed. But mostly the love part.

2 comments:

Helen said...

If the donee doesn't like the sock, donate the sock to something like Dulaan (or any other amazing project that collects hand knitted things for people in frigid places). I'd not try to frog mohair... shudder.

If you don't like it, b/c it's not absolutely PERFECT, recall that the quest for perfection is our way of perpetually improving ourselves. If we lose sight of the quest, and insist that EACH step be perfect, we'll get nowhere.

That said, if the imperfection either makes it not fit comfortably, or is glaringly obvious to the eye of the beholder even as s/he is galloping (or even trotting) past on a horse.... frog!

(oh, and I'm glad you liked the bead tutorial on my blog! it's so encouraging to know that it does help others)

Korinthe said...

Depends on whether it turns out "not as planned" or "all wrong". :) Not as planned, well, it depends on for whom it was knitted. With baby items, if the article is structurally and fit-wise ok, I readjust my expectations. Shawls and blankets can usually be forgiven (though I did rip back and redo 3/4 of a solid-color afghan when I discovered a dye lot mismatch). Things that have to fit will be ripped back MERCILESSLY.

As for the why, I couldn't have said it better. (Though I don't have kids.)